Friday, January 24, 2014

DIY Christmas Gifts Round Pet Bed

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
In the next few weeks, I thought I would share some simple DIY gift ideas for Christmas. I know the handmade, unique gifts are always my favorite :)

Today I am starting off with how to make a round pet bed without a pattern. If you dont have a pet, next week will have a gift for everyone!

So why no pattern? I found a bed that I liked, but couldnt find a pattern online or in store, so I decided to figure it out as I went. Sometimes thats part of the fun. Right?



The only thing that I purchased for this project was the fleece for the top, the rest was gathered from projects past. This is the perfect use for scraps of foam!

Here we go: 


Cut out a circle of fabric. Mine was 38" in diameter. I place a dot in the center and holding a ruler in place measuring half of the circle (19") and mark with a pencil or fabric pen. Holding the ruler on the dot, I rotate till I have a circle and then cut. 


Cut out pieces of foam approximately mimicking the shape leaving room to sew in between  (thinner is easier to work with - my center was a little high at 1.5") The side pieces of foam are optional you can just use poly fill, but I figured since I had it I would use it.


Cut out a fleece circle about 2" smaller than the outer fabric. Pin in place. You want to leave plenty of room for the hem on the outer fabric, about 2-3" is good.


Sew around the inner foam circle (1" or less is easiest to work with)


Sew between outer foam pieces (or where the poly fill will go), starting at the fleece and sewing to the center


Stuff the side pockets with poly fill and pin in place.

For the last steps I forgot to take pictures. Sorry! If you have any questions feel free to ask! Here are the instructions for attaching the ties so that the bed can be adjusted to lay flat or cinched together. 

1. Cut 6 strips for the ties: about 18-24" long and 3/4" wide: I used fleece so I wouldnt have to sew the edges
2. Sew the center of the strip on the center of each of 6 sections, on the very edge of the fleece connecting it to the outer fabric - I just sewed a short line back and forth so that it would be durable. The ties will come through openings above the center seams next. 
3. Fold the outer hem to turn under the raw edges, pin in place and then trim holes for the ties to come through. Each opening will have two ties coming out.
4. Finish the edges. I rolled the hem under and hand stitched the finished edge, since I found it too difficult to use the sewing machine. Heat n Bond no sew adhesive should also work, just make sure not to attach the ties to the bed, so that you can still adjust them.


I promise she does like the bed, she has recently gotten into a mood where she doesnt like getting her picture taken, hopefully she will grow out of it!



Annabelle likes to push against the side so it supports her, smart girl!


So far Ive made two beds like this for Annabelle and she loves them!

Ill be back next week to share another DIY gift idea!




TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment